By Project Management Institute
5.0 out of five stars
The most sensible PMBOK but; essential for PMP examination January four, 2013
By Gabriel Young
As a undertaking administration teacher and direction developer at a nation college, a venture administration keynote speaker, and an individual who has been education undertaking managers for almost twenty years, I hugely suggest this publication. i've got additionally helped hundreds and hundreds to go their PMP tests (including education PMI staff) and even supposing a few fogeys declare they handed with no this, I firmly think that the PMBOK is a must-have.
I have owned each version of the PMBOK and that i can let you know that it's gotten greater with age. Let's face it, the fabric isn't the main interesting yet not less than it's even more readable than ever. techniques are extra sophisticated (some may possibly be mindful center vs. facilitating methods in older models) and are titled extra continuously (used to have a few begin with verbs and others with nouns), descriptions of inputs/tools & techniques/outputs are clearer, and illustrations are much less complicated. That stated, the booklet nonetheless in basic terms covers the "whats". for those who truly need to know "how" to execute a few of these approaches, you will want one other source like venture administration: A platforms method of making plans, Scheduling, and Controlling.
For those that have visible a few of the PMBOK's terrible scores in studies of past types, you want to remember the fact that this can be a high-level advisor, no longer an tricky textual content or a secret novel. for this reason, don't anticipate to be a venture administration guru on the finish or be entertained with artistic irony.
Anyway, given that a lot of you're looking at this since you are looking to take the PMP examination, this is a few advice:
- even if you will be in a position to receive a gentle reproduction of this publication through being a PMI member, i like to recommend having a actual reproduction. In all my years of education, I've by no means even used a highlighter yet I did for the PMBOK whilst i used to be learning for this examination over a decade in the past. It seems that just about every thing was once worthy highlighting however it compelled me to learn each one line thoroughly.
- you will want one other publication given that many examination options aren't even lined within the PMBOK. i myself like PMP examination Prep, 7th variation: Rita's direction in a ebook for Passing the PMP examination or CAPM/PMP venture administration Certification All-in-One examination advisor with CD-ROM, moment version. you don't even want the most recent versions. belief me, the overall ideas could be the similar. for example, earned worth classes in Rita's 1st variation from yesteryear would be the related as these in seventh or eighth variants. SPI will consistently be EV/PV.
- while filing venture adventure at the software, you could publish paintings no matter if your name used to be now not undertaking supervisor. if you happen to labored on tasks and feature performed a lead position, it may well count number so publish it. the main element is that you can be filing undertaking management actions. you continue to want 4500 hours of venture adventure when you have a bachelors or 7500 hours and not using a bachelors. additionally, continuously post greater than these thresholds seeing that a few actions might be no longer be accepted.
- don't buy flash playing cards; in its place, make your individual. Get a stack of index playing cards and begin writing terms/concepts on one aspect with definitions/formulas/descriptions at the again side.
Hope this is helping. better of success to each person!
Read or Download A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge: PMBOK(R) Guide PDF
Similar project management books
Ethics performs a severe position in undertaking administration, yet all too usually, its value is missed. This benign forget may end up in critical results to contributors and agencies, starting from tarnished reputations to civil and legal legal responsibility. Ethics and undertaking administration demonstrates the significance of creating ethics a key attention in handling tasks and describes the affects that happen while moral transgressions come up.
The first objective of this e-book is that can assist you go the venture administration specialist (PMP) examination administered via the undertaking administration Institute (PMI). as the e-book has a laser-sharp concentrate on the examination pursuits, specialist venture managers who are looking to move the PMP examination can use this e-book to make sure that they don't leave out any aim.
Target Directed venture administration (GDPM) is a special technique that has been constructed and sophisticated through the authors over a interval of greater than two decades. In this time, corporations around the globe have followed it as a regular process. The critical concentration of GDPM is to strengthen figuring out, dedication and involvement whereas handling profitable and lasting swap.
This can be the 11th version of the scholar workbook that accompanies the simplest promoting "bible" of undertaking administration. The workbook comprises extra difficulties and workouts to augment the options awarded broadly speaking textual content. It additionally serves as a self-study consultant for the undertaking administration expert (PMP) certification examination to be in line with PMI's PMBOK consultant, 5E.
- System Synthesis: Product and Process Design
- Software Project Survival Guide
- Evernote App Solution for Time Management: Master Evernote Overnight, Skyrocket Productivity and Get Things Done
- Getting the Builders in: How to Manage Homebuilding and Renovation Projects
Additional info for A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge: PMBOK(R) Guide
In such a case, it is important for the project to specifically define what constitutes an appropriate organizational strategy that will sustain the organization. 6 Business Value Business value is a concept that is unique to each organization. Business value is defined as the entire value of the business; the total sum of all tangible and intangible elements. Examples of tangible elements include monetary assets, fixtures, stockholder equity, and utility. Examples of intangible elements include good will, brand recognition, public benefit, and trademarks.
13 1 - INTRODUCTION The following list includes examples of operational stakeholders (depending upon the business): • Plant operators, • Manufacturing line supervisors, • Help desk staff, • Production system support analysts, • Customer service representative, • Salespersons, • Maintenance workers, • Telephone sales personnel, • Call center personnel, • Retail workers, • Line managers, and • Training officers. 2 Organizations and Project Management Organizations use governance to establish strategic direction and performance parameters.
Controlling PMOs provide support and require compliance through various means. Compliance may involve adopting project management frameworks or methodologies, using specific templates, forms and tools, or conformance to governance. The degree of control provided by the PMO is moderate. • Directive. Directive PMOs take control of the projects by directly managing the projects. The degree of control provided by the PMO is high. The PMO integrates data and information from corporate strategic projects and evaluates how higher level strategic objectives are being fulfilled.